Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Sharing my experience...

I have been wanting to share what is going on me with my many friends and family who are interested.   It has become hard for me to reach out since I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis...
In the summer of 2010, I did a cartwheel and pulled/tore my groin muscle.  For a few month I rested hoping it would it heal, only getting feeling worse, unable to heal.  I lost weight, my back, muscles, joints and bones ached and screamed.  There were times when I felt like the incredible hulk, like my back muscles were moving on their own, I knew something was really off.   I decided to find the best doctor I could find and after a few questions and he suggested I see a neurologist right away!
This neurologist ordered an mri and spinal tap right away.  He suspected I had multiple sclerosis.  I remember being in shock leaving the doctor, I was completely numb, in total disbelief as I walked out of the building and called my mom.  She was in greater shock than me, thinking this had to be a mistake.   Hours after I had my first mri, the neuro called me and suggested I go to the hospital and taking a 3 day solumedrol steroid infusion.  I was ready to do anything to make me feel better so I went right away without even understanding what all this really meant.
The steroids were intense and I feel like that were all my ms symptoms came up and stayed up since then.   My symptoms include and are not limited to, numbness and tingling in the bottom of both of my feet along with numbness that crawls up my legs, weakness on my right side, foot drop, urinary hesitancy/urgency, cognitive fogginess, the ms hug (feels like you are wearing a girdle around your waist/ribs) and severe loss of balance.  Everyday is different, different apparent symptoms and different limits.  This led to my inability to drive a regular car.  About a year of not driving, my mom bought me hand controls for her car so I could drive again.  I am cautious about driving these days due to the difficulty it can be at times, the energy it takes to pay full attention and the cognition it requires.
My walking has been severely affected, I walk with an unusual gait, like I'm drunk which has led me to having to use a cane.  Ive been trying to turn this into a positive, starting to collect cool canes for each outfit, I have a handicap pass which is like v.i.p. parking and get wheelchair service at the airport!
  At the time of my diagnosis I was living in Eugene, working at one of the best glass shops around, Living Glass Works!  The fatigue, balance, pain, cog. fog and other symptoms got to me while I was struggling to find a new normal and get a handle on my new body.  I tried Copaxone and Rebif, which were daily/every 3 days injections I administered myself.  These two meds had terrible side effects for me, flu-like symptoms and incredible fatigue.  It became harder and harder to work which took its toll on me emotionally, thinking I was done blowing glass for sure.
The whole experience was terribly heartbreaking and depressing for me.  For a while I just gave up, took stock of myself, my life and how was I going to make it in this world with this new challenge ms. I became determined to try and be a more healthy person which requires a lot of energy for everyone but even more with someone with ms.  Luckily, I was approved for SSI which gives me a little help during this time but its not enough for me to live on.
A few months later, my boyfriend who was helping me with my saber business and I decided to move down los angeles, to be closer to my family.  Together we kept the sabers going for about 1 year after I got sick.  It was increasingly difficult for me to keep the orders in order, packing and shipping.  Later, after breaking up, we decided to stop making the sabers for a while or until I want to make them again.
Luckily I have always had an incredibly supportive mother, friends and other family, who made sure I had the best care possible even if it put her in the poor house.  Being a self employed glassblower and a person who is not so good with money, I had very little saving and the worst insurance (in case of emergencies).  This was a huge emergency which has become my life and I am forever grateful for everyone who has been with me for this battle.



3 comments:

  1. thanks dill pickle!!! See you soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so wonderful, Sara and I love you beyond measure. I'm so happy you're writing and sharing pieces of your story. You have so much knowledge and wisdom to share, and I appreciate you putting this out there!!! Thank you!!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete